Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday, October 28

Sunday again. I got up and went for a walk. My thing is walking as far as the irrigation ditch so that I can shock hundreds of ducks into taking flight. Why yes, I am very mature. I came home and went through my book Core Training by Sara Rose and began to build a workout for at home using mat exercises as well as with the ball. I *am* going to get fit again, this time from the inside out.

Shower and brekkie: instead of making my porridge with half a cup of old-fashioned rolled oats I substituted oat bran for a bit of it. Quite a different texture. Still made it with raisins, apple, served with dollop of honey, tofu, banana and vanilla yogurt. Yes, it is a big bowl!

I decided to listen to a BlogRadio show from the archives on FlyLady's partner site, the exercise guy. Didn't realize it would be over an hour long! It was interesting, though. I spent the time making a page for the family calendar.

For lunch I fixed a bowl of leftover turkey bean soup. Then I started the 45/15 minute routines that worked so well last weekend. I was able to finish editing and email off a series of classes I'll be teaching in November at Forward Motion and write a new opening scene for the never-ending novel saga. In between I got the remainder of my *house blessing* completed (dust and vacuum upstairs, windows & mirrors cleaned, plants watered) and the rest of the laundry done and put away. Also the paper garbage burned and the wandering cow put back in the pasture (yay for another exercise round--I guess!)

Had 8 whole-wheat crackers with cheese and a clump of grapes for snack mid-afternoon and put the jars of roasted tomato sauce down cellar. For supper I reheated a jar of black beans (that didn't seal the other day) with onion & garlic & salsa and served it over leftover brown rice. And had a salad.

I read through the FlyLady Holiday Control Journal. To some degree I have been doing this method the past few years, keeping things together and a plan written down to compare year by year. The one thing that will be new this year should be the ease at doing the decorating. In theory, anyway, the house won't need a crash cleaning so I can decorate! And the biggest trouble spot for me always is the baking. It's not like we need it, and all those calories have to go somewhere. I had good intentions last year and then baked for four days flat like a crazy woman. Sure I shared lots with hubby and the kids when they were home, but it was waaay too much anyway. How can I pick just a couple of favorites?

I also looked through my morning routine and updated it. It's a little different now than in the summertime when I wrote it.

Now my evening routine is done, my breakfast is prepped and my lunch is in the fridge. I've even done my back stretches already. It's time to start getting into a new book; it's been a few days since I finished one!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Vicky would like to know how you scare the ducks and if you take an umbrella with you (just in case). She's the kid who ran, clucking loudly, through a flock of pigeons in St Mark's Square. That's one of those things you never expect to have to say to your kid: "Quit clucking at the pigeons!"

Valerie Comer said...

(grin)

My very presence shocks the ducks into flight. No umbrella required! There are hundreds--perhaps thousands--at this time of year. The road crosses the irrigation ditch, so the 'wave' of ducks (50-75 of them, maybe) nearest the road takes off, away from me and over the heads of their comrades. They scare the next batch, which lifts into flight a couple seconds later. They are followed, after a pause, by the next wave. On a good day I can get five batches of them to lift off. On a bad day, only three.

I prefer to make the biggest impact possible, but yelling and waving my arms doesn't seem to help. Oh well.

And I'm grinning at Vicky chasing pigeons. I can just see it.

Karenee said...

Duck, duck, goose anyone?