Saturday, October 06, 2007

Saturday, October 6

Got up and went for a walk first thing. After all the rain and fog and all, it was nice to see a little sunshine this morning. It didn't hurt that I went a little later and the sun was already up... Hubby was home and couldn't sleep in (though he's switching to nights and should have!) I made us toast and scrambled eggs with bacon and a lot of veggies in (onion, garlic, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, broccoli, carrots). So many veggies the eggs couldn't hold them together, lol.

In discussion about the truck, we got this little brainwave whereby I would go with him (canceling my massage apt) to the larger next town over and we would look at trucks on the car lots and he'd catch a ride the rest of the way to work with a buddy, leaving me with the car. (Yesterday the truck decided it didn't like going into reverse...which can be an issue, trust me...) So my plans for the day got as scrambled as the breakfast eggs. The upshot of a couple of hours of lot scrounging is that we can't afford to replace our truck with something better and can't see the point of replacing it with something worse. Our next stop is to get an estimate from the local GM dealership to replace the transmission. We grabbed Burger King just before meeting up with his buddy, which isn't really on my diet but hey I did it anyway (BK double stacker, half a pkg fries, and the first coke I've had in eons.)

Ran into a pal of mine shortly after (hiya Joyce!) and we went for coffee and a visit, bringing my quota of mochas for the day to two. Could have yakked a lot longer but it was getting on to supper time and besides my eyes aren't that happy with night driving anymore.

Starved by the time I got home and was glad I had a quickie supper planned: the other marinated pork chop sautéed with onions, mushrooms, garlic, broccoli, zucchini and spinach, which almost brings my veggie quota for the day up to something reasonable. Had a handful of grapes later while reading. (I've started Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper as it occurs to me I have never read this classic children's fantasy series.)

The kitchen is clean and most of my routine is done for the day. My back is sore-ish from the combination of the ball class yesterday and too much car today. And I get to do the car again Monday morning (mighty early) to pick hubby up again. Ah well. I expect I shall live through it.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hubby's worth it.

Perhaps worse than not wanting to go into reverse is not wanting to come out of reverse. But your problem is not trivial (and mine was covered by warranty and easily fixed). If the truck is generally in good shape and reliable, a rebuilt tranny may be the best way to go. Given the alternatives, the "devil you know" is sometimes best.

Valerie Comer said...

There have been a few other issues building up with the truck, but the reverse problem seems to be the one that means we can't put decisions off any longer. And I agree: unless we're spending a considerable amount of money, we're just buying someone else's *unknown* problems. Better to keep our own, I think.