Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday, October 27

My walk got derailed this morning because I got up late. I thought I'd still have time for a short walk, but when I got outside I saw one of the cows out (off in search of her missing calf, no doubt) and spent half an hour putting her in and fixing the fence. (Or hopefully fixing it anyway; it was dark when I got home so not sure of my success.) By then it really would have put me too late if I'd gone for my walk. So I hit the shower and brekkie: porridge, raisins, apple, honey, banana, vanilla yogurt. Made the mocha and took it in the car.

Headed out and over the mountain about 10:15 (told you I'd slept in!) and got to my mom's nursing home room at 11:45. She'd told me she wanted to go out for lunch and that she wanted Chinese food so I drove her to the restaurant and she managed pretty well, buffet notwithstanding. She was tired when we got back to her room though. I stayed visiting her until about 1:30 when I drove back downtown to meet up with my daughter as she had a 3 hour break in her working day.

We found a flannel nightie for Mom--any idea how hard it is to find old-lady nightgowns? Try it! Then I bought myself a new pair of New Balance walking shoes. Sheesh they're pricey. Hanna and I popped into a bunch of little shops, picked up some stuffed breads that she knows her grandma likes, picked up coffees/ lattes and drove back up to the nursing home to share our treat. Then I dropped Hanna back to work for 5pm, and headed for the ferry landing.

I was there a bit early, but it wouldn't have been worth going back up to the nursing home in between. So I pulled out the laptop and critted a couple chapters and ran the battery low. So when the ferry arrived and I drove on, I took the palm and its keyboard up to my favorite perch and typed up the notes that have been stirring in my head for my newest project.

Then had another hour drive home. I spent the first half hour on my back once I got home; all that driving is hard on it. Then zapped the leftover stir-fry from the other day and had some grapes to top it off with. I've done a bit of wandering on the web but will now clean up the kitchen (not much to clean, but still...) and go read in bed for a bit. Yes, that sounds nice.

No comments: