Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday, October 21

So today was pretty productive, too. Had the walk first thing but then popped a load of jars into the canner before my shower, (rightly) believing that it was going to take all day if I didn't get right on it. And the first load was going to take longer just to heat through. Shower, breakfast: porridge with raisins, tofu, banana, a dab of honey and vanilla yogurt.

More canning. I thought once I'd emptied the bulk soup from my bigger canner (into jars) I'd be able to keep them both going but no such luck as I couldn't get the bigger one to seal. That's happened before and it's really frustrating when you want to get done in half the time. I'd done one load Saturday night and had four to go. Each takes about two hours from beginning to beginning. So yeah. Do the math.

I ate an apple and fixed a mocha for the first time I could sit down for a few minutes. Brought the laptop into the kitchen (well away from the work zone) and surfed the net while keeping an eye on the pressure gauge. I spent a lot of time standing at the counter today--the stools we have (old ones) aren't really at the right height.

Come lunch time I had a large salad, then chili and toast. And kept canning. Then I opened up the crit I started working on yesterday and made quite a lot of progress on it over the course of the afternoon. I finished up the canning about 5 pm with a couple of oranges for a snack (what I really wanted was pizza...) Then cooked up salmon fillets from the freezer. Later the last piece of plum crumble that I'd found in the freezer while digging out the stuff for the soup.

I was pretty ready for some time in the recliner after standing for the better part of eight hours. Having finished reading Mercedes Lackey's Fortune's Fool I started into the final Susan Cooper book: Silver on the Tree.

And now hubby is on his way home. He's booked his night shifts off this week so his days off perfectly coincide with my working days. Something about that just seems backward! More floor time coming up. The rest of the evening routine is done (including the kitchen cleaned for like the fourth time today).

No comments: