Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday, October 15

The neighbors are away for a few days so I walked all alone in the fog this morning. Very eerie! Breakfast: porridge with apples, raisins, banana, vanilla yogurt. Mocha to go.

My MIL drove me to work, and at noon I met my SIL at my favorite lunch spot where I enjoyed the famous Thai Chicken Salad. Mmmmmm. Tangy crunchy goodness. Had peas and grapes for snack.

After work I walked up to the Rec Center for a Ba Gua class. I'm not into the whole Eastern meditation thing and parts of this class made me uncomfortable. I'll have to see if it was good enough exercise (at this point I think not) to make it worth going regularly. I'll try it at least once more though. The concept of the class is listed as:
Smooth flowing movements that help relieve tension and replace it with relaxation, flexibility and increased energy. No cardio, no choreography and no complicated moves to remember. Ba Gua incorporates a slight twisting motion at the core that will flex the spine gently and massage your internal organs to stimulate all functions. A great class for seniors and/ or adults with limited movement in the upper or lower joints.

I'm sure you caught the word *core* in there that made me decide to give it a try in the first place. That and the limited movement in upper joints. Which are admittedly sore afterwards.

Came home with MIL, cleaned out the truck in preparation for its trip for open heart surgery tomorrow, and made myself a sautee supper: onion, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, shrimp, and spinach. I'm still really craving sweets and had a couple of cookies.

Need a good stretch on the floor, my most basic evening routine and an early bedtime tonight. I'm really tired. What else is new.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I do yoga when I can find a class but I resisted it for a long time. Like you, the Eastern meditation thing felt wrong until I realized that I don't have to meditate like the rest of the class. In one class the instructor took us through a directed meditation in which we were supposed to 'see in our mind's eye' (I hate that phrase) a stream with a bridge and a bird flying over, and I figured since God made all those things I'd just focus on that aspect of it.

Valerie Comer said...

I hear you on that. I understand it--even believe it, on principle--but it's still a bit weird. Honestly (next morning) I'm not the least bit sore which probably means it was too mild to be a workout for me. Regardless what my shoulder told me last night about too much *dragon serving tea to the emperor*!