Saturday, September 01, 2007

Friday & Saturday, August 31-September 1

I couldn't help but mention the beginning of my Friday when I posted Thursday's records. Friday, like I said, I went to Curves. Had breakfast of Fiber One, a peach, vanilla yogurt, and the mocha. Felt kinda bloated in the morning, sadly. My mother used to say: "I like *name of food* but it doesn't like me." Methinks Chinese food is starting to hit that category for me. Jim was bloated, too, and we both had crampy guts and gas on Friday. (Very romantic for an anniversary I assure you.) I don't remember seeing the usual *no MSG* disclaimer on the menu, so that may have been the culprit. I don't know, but it ruined a couple days for us.

I went home at noon and made us a chef salad, trying to put good stuff in over the bubblies and hope for the best. I even had a nap in the afternoon. We had a rain storm and quite a lot of wind, and we both read. We put a ham in for supper and had it with fresh garden potatoes, gravy (yeah I know) and garden fresh corn-on-the-cob. I did the basic kitchen cleanup after supper, read for a bit, and went to bed before 10:00.

Got up only twice through a ten hour night and felt almost human when I woke up this morning, though Jim's gut wasn't back to normal yet (he'd eaten more of the leftover Chinese late Thursday night--I've tossed the rest in the garbage since). I'd prepped sourdough Friday night so I made whole-wheat sourdough waffles with fresh applesauce for breakfast. I made the rest of the batter into dough for buns, which came out of the oven at lunchtime, by the time I'd made a clam *chowder* out of the hambone.

By mid-afternoon we were both feeling better, put the bikes in the back of the truck, and drove across the valley to the wildlife centre which is criss-crossed with dikes. We rode for about two hours with a few stops to look at birds: a flock of pelicans, a kazillion ducks and geese, about 8 great blue herons, a cormorant, and 2 cock pheasants that nearly scared the living daylights out of me blasting out of the underbrush ten feet from the bike. In two separate instances a few minutes apart.

So of course we biked too long for my neck and shoulders--no problem with the legs. Even with the shocks on the bikes I was hurting good by the time we got home. Jim needed to leave early for the drive to the mines so we just had a large tossed salad, packed his stuff in the car, and he headed out. I took some pain meds. A bit later I also had 2 slices wholegrain toast with cheddar and a banana milkshake. Then I cleaned the kitchen and performed most of FlyLady's home blessing: dusting, vacuuming, watering plants, washing mirrors/ glass doors/ tv & computer screens...and washing the kitchen, dining room, and living room floors.

I've purchased 40# peaches which I'll be canning in a few days when they ripen enough.

5 comments:

Jean said...

I couldn't wait to get started on the kitchen this week. I've been wanting to clean my oven for a few weeks now (seriously!), so today, I started, and it's almost done (I love self-cleaning ovens!).

Valerie Comer said...

LOL, I love 'em too.

What happened to Entryway Week? Did I miss it? What does FlyLady DO when there are no *part weeks* in a month? Help, I'm lost already! :P

Jean said...

Oh, wait. I've gotten way ahead of myself. Entryway week is this week. My entryway is part of my living room, so I got confused.

My dining room is my office, so I have tons of clutter to clean up in here.

August as Laundry Month and September as Evening Routine Month focus on two areas I have down pretty well. But I see October is Paper month, so I know I'll be getting a workout then!

Jean said...

I hope I don't have to unclean my oven....(grin)

Valerie Comer said...

All those dual-purpose rooms! (g) Just checked the site again and they don't have September up yet. Are we getting addicted or what!

Un-cleaning ovens can be a lot of fun. Roasting a turkey or making an apple pie are two ways to do it quite efficiently.