Tuesday, July 03, 2007

New Leaf for July

So I'm not a very good housekeeper, though I'm better than I used to be. I'm not very good at organizing my time--I get sidetracked easily. I'm not very good at keeping up good habits, though I seem to have no trouble keeping up bad ones.

It's been a rough winter and spring in my little world. I've been sick, had trouble sleeping. My mom's been sick. We've been away a lot. Started renovating the kitchen but stalled out for the summer.

My house has suffered. My body has suffered. Most of my good habits have suffered.

The house was bad, just weeks and weeks of not really dealing with stuff. A little adds up at a time until one day you really see it and you absolutely freak out. I freaked out.

I had a three and a half day weekend for Canada Day and my goal was to clean my house from end-to-end and top-to-bottom. And indeed, I accomplished this, working my way out the door Monday evening with all the boxes and bags of recycling to stick in the truck to drop off this morning.

And then I looked around my house--my PineSol smelling house--and said, why can't I keep it this way? How refreshing this is!

The answer is, of course, that I'm 48 years old and I've never yet been able to keep my house clean for more than a week. Why would anything ever change?

Ah. A couple of years ago, I felt that way about my body weight, but in 2006 I discovered that indeed, I COULD take weight off and keep it off. At least I dropped 35 pounds and have kept 28 of it off, the rest has been wobbling back and forth for six months. Still. I've proved *something*. Why can't I apply that to other areas of my life?

So I spent almost three hours on FlyLady and I am going to make a serious effort to change my ways. And in the effort of THAT, I want to crack those last few pounds off (again) and learn to maintain.

If you find this boring, feel free to go elsewhere; there are lots of more interesting blogs out there, including my main one. I feel the need to journal this effort and it may as well be right here.

Good habits that I already have:
1. I make my bed every single morning (unless hubby is still in it, then I make it next time I walk into the room.) An unmade bed makes me stark crazy.

2. I have reasonably good morning routines.

3. I eat healthy food 95% of the time.


Things I want to improve in July:
1. Everything else.

Okay, Val, be reasonable here. Try again.
1. Make before-work exercise an automatic part of my day.

2. Make sure my kitchen is clean (FlyLady's shiny sink!) before I go to bed every night in July.

3. Journal my food and exercise and FlyLady habits.

That's it. It's enough to start.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm glad I stumbled back in here! Have you tried to 'get it together' before? I've dropped out of Flylady twice in the last six years; she's just too regimented for me but she does have some good stuff. From reading this post it sounds as if we're the Clutter Wonder Twins. If you're getting better, there's hope for me, but do I have to wait 8 more years to get there? Or is there something you're doing that you didn't do before? (I guess I'm wondering if 48 is the magic number?)

Valerie Comer said...

Have I tried to get it together before? I'm laughing so hard at that question that tears stream down my face. Um. yes?

Let me think on this, EJ. Maybe I'll address a blog post to this one day soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jean said...

I'm laughing, too. I read this post a while ago, and I'm revisiting all the things mentioned here again. Repeated failure but a determination not to give up brought me back here, because Val has done well with the weight loss, and I see her doing well with the clutter hassle.

I'd like to lose a significant amount of weight healthily before I retire next year, and I want to improve housecleaning for two reasons -- First, to make moving and the final clean up of this rental house easier, and Second, to establish good habits to make it easier to keep the new house clean and clutter free.

You, S. William Shaw (Fat Daddy), Joelysue, and Tina (Scraps of Me) have been inspirational.

I'm resetting the plan (yet again) today. If 48 is the magic number, I have less than a year to go!

Valerie Comer said...

Yay for 48! And thanks for the kind compliment, Jean.