Monday, July 09, 2007

Saturday and Sunday, July 7&8

Thankfully Saturday was a little cooler than the past few days. At least it didn't reach 100 Fahrenheit. Sadly, it was the designated gardening day. My plan was to weed a row every couple of hours and not over-do the heat. However, in the early afternoon, just after my third hot bout with the garden, my brother-in-law and nephew showed up to work in the garden (we share the space) so I dug my heels in and kept weeding until it was done. Way too much time in the hot sun, though I was wearing a hat and drinking lots of water. The guys came behind, hauling old bales of hay and spreading them as mulch.

I can sure feel it in all my muscles today. Ouch. Wrists, forearms, shoulders, knee-caps, thighs...that was one marathon weeding day. I'm glad it's done. With the thick layer of mulch, it's done for the season. Of course there are still berry beds and flower beds, but the veggie garden is the big one.

Food for Saturday: Not typical this day! I made whole-wheat sourdough pancakes and ate my four with raspberries, yogurt, and no-sugar pancake syrup...and a mocha. For lunch I made homemade tomato and beef soup (I'd canned the ingredients last fall) and whole-wheat biscuits, of which I had two (butter). I grabbed a handful of peas on one of my breaks, and a handful of cherries another. I had a sourdough whole-wheat roll (butter) for snack when they came out of the oven. For supper we barbecued a whole chicken over a can of coke and had a large salad (ranch dressing) and a small serving of baby potatoes (butter). Later in the evening I had a milkshake from a banana, chocolate nf/ns ice cream, yogurt, and skim milk.

Sunday I had my typical breakfast: fruit, Fiber One, and yogurt. Took the mocha-to-go in the car as I drove to visit my mom in the hospital. I stopped off at my sister's and she sent lunch up to the hospital, a great salad called Glory Bowl made with brown rice, spinach, shredded beets, shredded carrots, toasted almonds, and a very cool dressing with plenty of garlic, tahini, and engevita yeast. Mm. She also sent a piece of rhubarb pie for each of us. I had a nice visit with Mom--she's doing so very well after her April stroke--and a nice visit with my sister as well. Back to the hospital to see Mom before I left for home. I ate her dinner (she had leftover Glory Bowl from lunch!) of dry baked potato nuggets and a deep-fried piece of chicken breast. The broccoli and carrots looked totally dead and I passed on those.

Turned out the ferry I was aiming for got canceled and so I spent kind of long at the ferry landing and splurged on an 85 gram bag of nacho chips. Bad me. I was hungry! Had a banana shake when I got home.

And other than the weeding, I didn't do any specific exercise all weekend. Back at it Monday morning!

No comments: