Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Monday, July 9

I am trying SO hard to get organized. When I got home Sunday night, I took the time to make sure my breakfast was ready to go, that my lunch was packed and in the fridge, that my workout clothes were ready to go. I'd intended to go to Aquafit at 7:30, but Sunday night realized I was too tired to get up that early and that I really wanted to buy a pass before going again. (The Rec Centre office isn't open that early). So I planned to go to Curves at lunch hour.

All organized.

It was great.

Until I was all the way into town and realized I'd left my lunch in the fridge. I was so choked! It was the only day all week I'd be taking a lunch, too. I did have time to swing by the Rec Centre and buy a pass for Aquafit.

Back up a step. Usual breakfast: fruit (only cherries this time), Fiber One, vanilla yogurt, mocha to go.

Lunch: after my Curves workout, I walked past Subway and bought a Steak and Cheese sub. So-so on the healthy. It does have roasted veggies! And I mumbled about my perfectly good lunch sitting at home.

After work I swung past the grocery store for strawberries, bananas, kiwi, and red plums for a big batch of fruit salad again. Then I went home and ate my lunch for supper: 1 can of tuna (broth based, half-fat mayo, 1 dill pickle), 3 Wasa crackers, a handful of peas, a bowl of cherries. Later I had a banana shake before bed.

Meanwhile I realized that I should write up a morning routine like FlyLady suggests. Apparently my habits are not quite as strong as I'd like to think they are, probably because I don't take a lunch every day due to hubby's schedule.

So I'm sitting there at the computer in the evening and I realize that, except for doing the dishes, I haven't done anything to KEEP the house clean. So I ran the vacuum in the living room and kitchen. With a cat, this is pretty much a necessity. While doing this, I wished I'd double-checked the FlyLady email before going offline. We're on dial-up so it's a pain to reconnect. I knew this week is kitchen week, but I couldn't remember what the Monday task was to be.

All I remembered was that one of the daily tasks was to clean the top of the stove, so I decided to do that, even though it didn't look *that bad*. As in, not bad enough to drive me crazy. But now it is actually clean. How amazing is that?

2 comments:

Jean said...

Good for you. And if Monday wasn't stove day, do whatever Monday's task was on stove day. Or, gasp!, do them both.

Yeah, I think the secret to keeping a clean house is to do those little tasks BEFORE they NEED to be done.

Some friends of mine keep a spray bottle of 409 and paper towels handy, and they wipe everything in the kitchen down as they finish using it. I try to adhere to that habit as much as possible, and it works wonders. I probably ought to do the same thing in the bathroom on the counters. Hmmm....

Valerie Comer said...

LOL Monday WAS stove day. I actually remembered the one day. (They give you a sneak peek of the whole week on Sunday).

Cleaning up as we go. Why, that would cure everything, wouldn't it. What a concept.