Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wednesday, July 18

My daughter (who apparently watches the news on tv) tells me that our town has been Canada's Hot Spot the past few days. See! I wasn't exaggerating about the heat!

Breakfast: soaked rolled oats, fruit salad, vanilla yogurt. Two banana muffins and a mocha to go, for after Aquafit.

There is nothing like pleasantly cool water to start the day out with. It's a great workout, and a treat to not be boiling hot when it's over. I can hardly wait for my new swimsuit, though. It's supposed to be here on Saturday. And I NEEDED those muffins when I was done. Does that mean I work harder in Aquafit than Curves? Because the schedule is the same as far as when I eat breakfast etc. Hmm.

Hubby was home for lunch (on his split between day shifts and night shifts) so I made a salmon pasta salad (sockeye salmon, macaroni, onion, snap peas, low-fat mayo, s&p, lemon juice). Had more snap peas and cherries for snack. Too busy for the chocolate, which almost never happens!

After work I spent about 15 minutes weeding in the garden again, but I hadn't watered the night before so it was harder work. Still, progress.

I'd been thinking about my bathtub and how it needs to be refinished. And it does. However, that's not a good excuse for leaving it dirty beige in the meanwhile. It is very hard to clean it--or so I've always experienced--and because I have poor eyesight and don't wear my glasses in the shower, I have built up an amazing tolerance to the grimy tub. (The shower walls aren't too bad in comparison--shiny white tiles and dark gray grout=easy to clean) But since the bathroom sink looks so darn good, and I no longer have a chipped and stained toilet seat, I just couldn't resist the temptation to *try again*.

All I did was spritz the entire tub with liquid Comet after my shower on Tuesday. AAACK the fumes! And then I totally forgot I'd done this! I showered at the pool Wednesday morning but after my stint in the garden in the afternoon I decided I deserved a cool shower. I slid open the shower door and the tub looked--different. Still beige, but different. I touched the bottom of it and realized that I could make marks on the slimy surface with my finger. I turned on the tap, out came a cloth, and I found that much of the grime and slime JUST WIPED OFF! There were still a few icky spots, and I spritzed them again after my cooling shower. Hey guess what! The tub is actually quite white where it isn't chipped! (I had another shower at bedtime and even more of the stuff had come loose. Another day and I think I'll have the thing licked--and with ZERO effort, really.) Now FlyLady doesn't actually advise the use of toxic chemical cleaners so I may try her ideas for keeping it clean. Or I might buy another spray bomb of Comet cause I sure won't go through that much at a go again!

FlyLady's zone this week is the bathroom and while I haven't done things exactly according to her plan, I'd say the week focusing on that room is a huge success. I even wiped off every inch of the vanity doors. That made me wonder why the manufacturer would put fake louvered doors on? I mean, really, the louvers don't go through to the back, but they collect a lot of dust and ick on the front. Stupid design.

So, supper. I'm not doing so good at planning meals yet. I zapped three pre-fab beef-and-bean burritos and had them with non-fat sour cream and homemade salsa, then did the dishes while I chatted with my daughter on the phone. Because the day had been hubby's payday, I then sat down at the computer and paid the bills.

I actually had time to finish the book I started on the weekend when we were camping: Soul Music by Terry Pratchett. A chocolate banana milkshake, organized breakfast and lunch stuff and the workout bag, and off to bed with the air conditioner on full bore.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I do that with Scrubbing Bubbles periodically -- spray the shower down after I'm done, leave it, and wipe it down the next day. Nearly effortless, and effective..

Valerie Comer said...

Yeah. Sometimes I'm a slow learner. I mean, I *KNEW* it would be a lot of hard work, and a lot of hard work is simply best put off indefinitely. Sigh.