Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Will-Power versus Won't-Power

You'd think we wouldn't need to pamper ourselves with subtleties like that, but it seems to work. We respond better to positive motivation than negative (though negative seems to work in a pinch!).

I do know its easier to dwell on what I want to do rather than what I want to avoid.

Some examples:
I want to eat 8-10 servings of vegetables and/ or fruit per day works better than I shouldn't eat junk food.

I want to go for a brisk walk or a bike ride every day does more for me than I hate jogging and I hate step aerobics. Sheesh, what else is there?

Fruit salad with vanilla yogurt makes a great dessert gives me more motivation than How many days till I can justify a piece of cake? How about a cookie or ten?

What about you? Does it seem like you're trying to fool yourself, or is the technique valid?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, glad to see you're posting here again. It's inspiration, and I'm trying to get back on track myself. Keep it up.

Valerie Comer said...

Thanks, Shanna. The goal all along was to inspire others while giving them the chance to inspire me right back. I'm open to any topic suggestions!

Valerie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the Donut story. It made me cry too :)

Cool name ;)

Blessings

Jean said...

Based upon the success of some of my friends in this area lately, and a decided lack of success in my own area, I did some re-evaluation recently.

I decided to focus on the positive things I wanted to do to achieve my goals. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I popped in here after a long absence and see you're talking doing the same thing.

It's too early in my efforts to determine if my theory is going to work, but initial results are encouraging.

I decided it was most important for me to focus on positive lifestyle changes I want to achieve, and that's what I'm doing.

I learned years ago this is all in my head. If my head is straight, then the body responds accordingly. If my head is messed up, the body follows. Is that a mental mind game? Sure. But it's the way things work. YMMV. (smile)