Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Wednesday, November 7 Baked Bean Recipe

I actually got out of bed a bit earlier today but instead of using the *extra* time on the treadmill I used it to throw lunch in the crockpot, then took 30 minutes on the treadmill. Usual brekkie: porridge, apple, banana, vanilla yogurt. Mocha to go.

It was great coming home at lunch to hot baked beans. Here's what I had done:

2 cups (ish) chopped leftover ham
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can beans in tomato sauce (pork'n'beans without the pork)
1/2 onion, chopped (which I should have cooked ahead cause it was a little crispy in 4 hours)
1/4 cup (ish) molasses
2 tablespoons (ish) sugar-free ketchup
1 tablespoon (ish) yellow mustard

Could/should have put in mushrooms or garlic as well, but didn't. If you're using small-ish cans of beans (14-ounces), you might want five cans total instead of four.

Anyway I just ran the slowcooker for four hours on low because everything was pre-cooked (except the onion) and just needed to be hot and blended. It certainly wouldn't mind going for 8-10 hours though.

So I also took peas and grapes and soy nuts for afternoon snack.

Hubby is now on two night shifts and I absolutely could not get enthused about supper when I got home from work. Against my better judgment I had a couple pieces of toast. A bit later I had the last serving of cole slaw from the fridge. Eventually I dug taco meat & bean mix out of the freezer and had some of that with Wasa crackers. And then, after awhile, a couple of oranges.

My big project in the evening was laying out the last calendar page, making sure all of them were good, printing out a copy of each, shuffling them into the order I want them in, and renaming all the files to come in order, eg: 01_jan_child's name. Oh, and designed my cover. I've picked up the ream of cover paper required and just need to stock up on all five colors of ink before the weekend. Though I don't know if it will be a good idea to be doing anything on the computer while we're constructing in the kitchen, being as they're open to each other. At any rate, I'll be ready. This printer is waaaay faster than my old one so it won't take too long to print out 17 copies once I have my assembly line running. Yes, 17. Sigh.

So the kitchen is clean and I have breakfast and lunch planned for tomorrow. Supper, as always, is somewhat of a mystery, sadly. Just headed to the floor for my stretches and off to bed early. Hubby got home after 11 last night so I didn't sleep enough.

No comments: