Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wow I've been bad at this

How's my life?

Er.

That about covers it.

I got a pedometer last Friday and now I can see how lazy I am. Like I had no other clues. But seriously, around 1600 steps on Monday? That's practically nothing. So I had to check how many steps I get on the treadmill--see, the thing is working already! And that's about 1200 steps a mile, which was about 20 minutes. Sheesh, it's been a L-O-N-G time since I was on the thing. Like a month.

It's a wonder I haven't gained weight, but yay I'm steady at 148. Not that that is where I want to be steady at, but anyway. I've been in the neighborhood for a few months and it beats gaining more.

So the glasses thing--Val's little nightmare. Again the gal disappeared into the back room for a long period of time. Again with the muffled sounds back there. Again with the new arm not fitting. I suspected that would happen. I mean, aren't all the left arms for glasses' style XYZ in the same bin at HQ? Why should one be any different than another? But they seemed downright shocked.

And then she says: do you have any other glasses you can wear? And the response was quick and emphatic. NO! She wanted to send these away to be *fixed*. I suggested they order complete new frames and exchange the lenses when the frame comes. Surely that will work? She agreed. All the reefing and twisting they did to try to make the arm fit--I'm happier with all new frames by this stage. At least I hope I will be.

For the record, black electrical tape holds up the best long term. Don't use duct tape, it ruins the finish (I already knew it would so didn't go that route.) Scotch tape lasts only a couple days. Just in case you cared.

So hubby is currently resting up for his very last day of work at the mines Thursday. He'll be home late tomorrow with his honkin' HUGE tool boxes in the back of the truck. They're putting them in with a forklift. How he'll get them out at GM I don't know. He doesn't think they have a forklift there...

So my life is changing again. Mostly for the good, but certainly we will be adjusting. Back when he last worked here we shared a vehicle and we're talking about doing it again--though now we have two--just to save fuel. His hours are 8-12, 1-5 Monday to Friday. Mine are 9-12, 1-5 Monday to Friday. I would drop him off at work (he's enroute for me, about 2/3 of the way to my job), pick him up to come home for lunch, drop him off, pick him up.

It just means I have an hour to kill in the morning. Last time we did this, I got a Curves membership and used it at 8 most mornings. I let my Curves membership lapse in the fall and I'm not a hundred percent sure I want to renew it.

Meanwhile a new gym opened up in town a few months back and I stopped in today to look around and check out fees. I'm thinking I might get a three month pass and see how it goes. I could do cardio a couple mornings a week and weights a couple mornings, if my neck and upper back are up for it. That'll be the clincher. There is another gym and I've walked in the door a few times over the past seven years, glanced around and walked right back out. Totally uninviting and I have no idea why. Just I'm not going there!

At any rate, it'd be a good use of the extra hour. And unlike Curves, they actually have a shower in the back room so I could do better than a swab before going to work. I can shower pretty quick. And see, I'd be saving money not showering at home...

Yeah, watch me try to convince myself this is a good idea! :P

So back to this pedometer thing. Anyone got one? Do you use it daily? Do you obsess about how different the days are? I've had days from 1600 to nearly 6000. What's a good goal?

Sometimes I read C.E. Murphy's blog and she posted this a bit ago. She's joined the Eowyn Challenge which apparently is a walk around Middle Earth, like Frodo did in LOTR. Problem. I haven't read LOTR, and although I occasionally think I ought to, I haven't really convinced myself yet.

Anyone else looking for some kind of walking challenge? Dunno. Always more fun with companions, even virtual ones.

Oh yeah, FlyLady. Been doing her. Kitchen last week, but I ought to clean the oven, maybe on the weekend. Don't have the energy on a work night. Bathroom week is going fine. I decided to buy myself a new bathroom garbage can today but--um--didn't. Maybe tomorrow. The lengths to which we will go to not wash the one we have.

Blessed the house tonight right after I got home. Don't know how that will work when hubby is living at home. It's hard to clean around someone, and he does have the outside chores so it's reasonable for me to do the inside myself. We share the garden. But his daily chores right now don't take long enough for me to do the blessing. I guess we'll see next week.

That's it.

9 comments:

Jean said...

In high school, I repaired my glasses successfully with acetone (commonly found in fingernail polish remover, I think) several times. Not sure where your break it, but I offer the comment just in case.

Jean said...

bathroom size trash cans -- I use plastic grocery sacks for liners, and they stay much cleaner. :)

I have a pedometer. Great little item. I put it in my backpack and Christmas and really need to dig it out and begin walking around with it. I average between 3000 and 13000 steps a day -- usually in the 8k range, if I recall correctly.

Valerie Comer said...

If they weren't only six months old and still under warranty, I'd be much more likely to get creative about it. As it is...they shouldn't have broken! I stand by that!

Valerie Comer said...

Yeah, I know about plastic grocery bags. But my can was broken. Why can't they make nice garbage cans? Why do they HAVE to be ugly?

Today I'm at 12437 steps (and won't get a lot more, perched as I am in the recliner for the evening!). Amazing what a little self-competition will do.

Jean said...

Oh. I didn't catch that they were 6 months old and under warranty. What's taking them so long? They need to replace the frames, doggone it!

Wendy said...

I'll take your step challenge, Val, but I can't start until Feb. I'm heading south on Monday to camp with my dad for a week and won't have internet access.

Valerie Comer said...

Have a great camping trip, EJ! And February works fine by me. The pedometer has got hubby interested too so I think we're buying a second one!

Janice Freeman said...

10,000 steps a day is the widely accepted goal for heart health. I invite you to check out my blog at cookwellbewell.blogspot.com

fiorinda said...

HI! I just read that your husband will be back at home. I hope the transition goes well. I was going to post on your previous post, but comments were disabled.

Let me know if y'all walk the Appalachian trail. ;) I'm not too far(about 2 hrs) from the start and have walked parts of it when I was in college and lived right around the corner from it. It's beautiful. DH and I always wanted to hike it, but we had kids instead :). I just bought a Leslie Sansone walking video because it's really hard to get outside to walk. Despite the fact that we are in a severe drought, it's been raining all month.

I joined Sparkpeople and have lost almost five lbs, averaging 1 lb/week. Now I need to get exercising and maybe it will start dropping a little faster. But already 42 lbs to lose sounds so much easier than 47 :).