Friday, October 20, 2006

Slacking off

When I look back on the past few weeks, I find that the whole health and nutrition thing goes very hand in hand.

My weight is wobbling all over a four-pound range. On the plus side, it spent a few days lingering at a new all-time low before wobbling back up. There have been a few issues, I think.

The bear didn't help! I do now have a very good quality (though elderly) treadmill upstairs and took it for a good run yesterday. It clanks and clunks a lot, so I'll have to get hubby to have a look at it when he's home on the weekend. It's noisy on walking mode but gets rather frenzied at a jog. So we'll see how that works out. I'd like to get back to daily exercise. Once I start skipping days its easy to skip a couple more.

I wound up with a minor flare-up of the arthritis earlier this week. I did manage a couple of Curves workouts during that time frame but I'll be the first to admit they weren't real fat-blasting programs. Even not feeling 100%, it seemed wise to keep moving as best I could rather than reclining at leisure. Things seem back under control on that front now, for which I'm glad.

And when I'm not feeling well, I eat. Hovering just above my goal weight is frustrating. On the one hand, I think I can drop those last few pounds any time. Such as *later*. On the other hand, I'm hunting for comfort food, because how much harm can a little slippage do at this stage? Sigh.

All these things work together. When I'm exercising regularly, I feel stronger mentally. I feel I can tackle absolutely anything. (Well, except for bears.) I can say no to just about any tempting food. But if one area slides, it's a slippery slope.

This evening I baked me some healthy comfort food to tuck in the freezer for when I need it most. It's not stuff I should eat with abandon, but it certainly will do less damage than some of the things I've reached for lately when I wasn't prepared. So now I should get off-line and freeze the pumpkin snack bars and the carrot bran muffins so I don't go on a feeding frenzy at midnight!

1 comment:

Jean said...

Oh, sure. Blame it on the poor, little, defenseless, baby bear. :)

Sounds like you're doing well. Wobbling at the low end of your weight isn't such a bad thing. It'll settle down. Stay the course.

I hope everything works out well with your treadmill.