Thursday, September 21, 2006

What do most people do at lunchtime?

I've been hunting through recipe books at my library and at the bookstore, and I don't see much specifically for lunch. Okay, I've seen NOTHING specifically about lunch.

What do working people do at lunch? Brown-bag it? Eat out? Drive home? Do people NEED recipes for lunch or are they content with life as it is? Enquiring minds want to know.

(For the record, I have an hour break and work a ten minute drive from home. When hubby's home, I drive home and cook a hot lunch or re-heat leftovers. Sometimes we eat out. Once every couple weeks, maybe? And when he's away at work, I nearly always brown-bag it.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I eat lunch at home right now. In the past I have been frustrated trying to figure out things to take with me to work. Something I can make at home and then just microwave later is good, or cold sandwiches or salads. A lot of times when I have time I just make a regular main dish meal for lunch anyway, so in that regard it doesn't matter.

Valerie Comer said...

That was another question I forgot to ask, Shanna. Is it logical to assume that everyone has access to a microwave at work, even in a small business? I have one because I brought my brother-in-law's old one when he ditched it.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say that everyone has access to a microwave. I don't have access to one while I am at school. I'm not there during lunch, but it's valid to note. My mom brought her own microwave to her last job, like you did. But I do think it's something that is becoming more and more expected and therefore more common.

Valerie Comer said...

At my husband's job, they have too few microwaves for too many guys...and too short of breaks (which they all take at once). Even if he takes soup, he usually eats it cold because he gets tired of waiting for a turn.

Jean said...

I'd say all of the above. I usually pack a lunch consisting of a frozen meal -- something like a Lean Cuisine. I try to add an apple or other fruit. When I forget, I wind up eating chips and cokes. Not a good choice. Sometimes I go out, but usually, I'm eating at my desk. If I don't bring a frozen meal, I bring a refrigerated leftover from my Saturday cooking session.

I usually can find a microwave at work and sometimes have access to a refrigerator. If I don't have easy access to a refrigerator, I have a lunchbox with a freezer pack to keep everything cold.

Valerie Comer said...

Kay, so I'm hearing that leftovers are often the lunch of choice. Interesting...