Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Breakfast

Are you into eating breakfast? Is it habitual?

We all know the Talk: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In our house, breakfast wasn't optional. I didn't know, growing up, that there were people who hated eating in the morning.

I married one.

Then I gave birth to two more.

How did THAT happen?

My husband breaks all the rules about eating. He goes for several hours without eating, then begins to pick up momentum. By evening he is grazing non-stop. He ought to weigh four hundred pounds. He doesn't. Every few years he says to me, "I really should start getting up a bit earlier and having breakfast." It lasts for a day or two. If that.

For him, the answer isn't breakfast food. On a workday, it means he eats his lunch in bits and pieces over his coffee breaks as well as his lunch break. On Saturdays, it means a brunch somewhere around 10:30 or 11. On Sundays his first meal is lunch when we've gotten home from church. Always he needs coffee.

Even surrounded by non-breakfast-eaters and fighting with my kids every schoolday morning through their growing up years, I've never stopped eating breakfast. I like it. If I haven't eaten within an hour of getting up, I'm starving and useless.

Just thought of something. Do you think it has anything to do with being a morning person or a night owl? My pack are night owls, whereas my brain pretty much ceases to function in mid-evening. I'm not a TRUE morning person, either. I don't want to know that five o'clock exists, for example. But I'm willing to get up early enough to have a habitual morning routine before going to work. And that includes breakfast.

For years, breakfast consisted of a slice or two of homemade wholewheat bread, toasted, with butter and cheddar cheese. Because I'd read that women should consume more soy products, I'd also have a smoothie, usually just a banana hucked into chocolate soy milk and whizzed.

In March I took a closer look at my breakfast. While a limited amount of whole grain carbs, such as my bread, was permissable, I didn't want to eat it without the butter and cheddar. The soy milk was REALLY high in calories. Bananas are on Gallop's *yellow* list, meaning they're not going to help with weight loss. I thought I'd been eating a perfectly healthy breakfast! (We won't talk about the butter...)

My mom used to make porridge on school mornings, and I've done so occasionally. In March, I began to make porridge from large flake (also known as regular or slow-cooking as opposed to quick or instant) rolled oats. (Bring a cup of water to a boil with a smidge of salt, add 1/2 cup rolled oats, simmer until thick, 5-10 minutes--use the time to go get dressed or something!) As a child, I'd have this with sugar and milk. Sugar was out. The milk was boring. I thought about it while I turned my attention to the morning smoothie.

I bought soft tofu in 340 gram (about 12 ounce) containers and split a package into quarters. Several people had told me how good bromelain (in pineapple) is for arthritis, so I decided pineapple would be acceptable even though Gallop says its a *yellow*. That opened the door for bananas to come back in. I'd see how I did on this smoothie: 3 ounces of tofu, one banana, a quarter of a tin (1/2 cup) crushed pineapple, then skim milk to the two cup line of the blender. This makes slightly more than two tall glasses, but with my desire to eat two servings of fruit and/or vegetables for every meal plus snacks (8-10 daily), I just drank the whole works.

Then I eyeballed the porridge again, and poured some of the smoothie over it. Voila! A breakfast that (mostly) met the GI guidleines, tasted reasonably good, and was quick to make and consume. As you know, I lost 13 1/2 pounds my first month on the GI, so obviously the banana and pineapple weren't holding me back too much. I ate this for breakfast daily for more than three months. Apparently I don't mind a boring breakfast.

We went tent camping in mid-June for a week. A blender wasn't an option! Thankfully fresh summer fruit was becoming available and I started making fruit salads (kept on until just recently). For the grain part of the breakfast, I turned to the muesli method of porridge-making. The evening before, mix 1/2 cup of large flake rolled oats with 1/3 cup milk and a smidge of salt and stick the container in the fridge (or cooler if you're camping). Add some fruit salad and yogurt in the morning. This became my standard breakfast for the next few months as the varieties of locally available fresh fruit wandered through the season. (My yogurt of choice is non-fat and sweetened with Splenda, such as Silhouette by Danone or Source by Yoplait. I go through a LOT of vanilla flavored yogurt.)

Recently its been fresh peaches, most everything else having petered out. So I chop a peeled peach into a large bowl, add a sliced banana, a good shake of Fiber One cereal and some yogurt.

These are no-brainer breakfasts. I'm not good at thinking in the morning, so for me it works just to reach for the same thing for weeks or months on end. I get variety in my other meals. I see by the produce shelves at the grocery store and at the fruit stands that I will soon be back to my porridge and smoothie. I don't mind the thought. I kind of welcome it, actually.

What is your experience with breakfast? Is it an easy meal for you to make and eat or is it a constant struggle? Do you even bother? I'm curious.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

For breakfast, I need something quick and easy, and that I think is delicious, or I skip the meal. I rip open a packet of Quaker Oatmeal Fruit & Cream flavors (this morning it was Peaches & Cream), add 1/3 cup boiling water, stir, and wait one minute. Enjoy, with the added benefit of lowering cholesterol if used daily, with a diet moderate in fat intake.

I started using the Insulin-Resistance Diet a few weeks ago, and my husband and son have joined me in using it. I find changing eating habits difficult, but it helps that we are working together on it.

I need to lose fourty pounds, so your accomplishment is encouraging for me.

Valerie Comer said...

You're right, instant oatmeal is a lot faster, but it runs higher on the glycemic index.

I wish you the best of luck, along with your family, in your weight loss endeavors. Please feel free to come back here and share how its going. I'm hoping we can all encourage each other.

Jean said...

I'm a breakfast advocate. I've been eating CLIF bars since earlier this year until the last month, when I haven't been so hot on them.

I like juice, though I know fresh fruit is preferred (true juice -- not juice drink).

Unfortunately, I'm too much into carbs in the morning. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make the shift to something more like what you're doing, but I can't stand milk.

I'm not satisfied with where I am, even though breakfast is a must meal.

Valerie Comer said...

Jean, I don't have a lot of breakfast ideas either, which is why--when I find something that works--I tend to do it for months or even years. For me it has to be fast and relatively brainless! Hope something connects with you soon.

Wendy said...

I've been doing the Kashi Autumn Grain cereal lately, but I think I'm going to try the yogurt and fruit smoothie thing tomorrow morning. I find I need more protein in my meals or I'm starvelating in a couple of hours, and cereal doesn't have much!

Wendy said...

I've been doing the Kashi Autumn Grain cereal lately, but I think I'm going to try the yogurt and fruit smoothie thing tomorrow morning. I find I need more protein in my meals or I'm starvelating in a couple of hours, and cereal doesn't have much!

Valerie Comer said...

Good point about the protein. Whoever the diet dude was who thought up the idea of mini-meals was, I don't know, but I've heard the idea touted often enough that every meal and mini-meal should be complete with protein. So breakfast protein could be tofu, eggs, yogurt, back bacon...some of those things take awhile to make though, so I'm too lazy except on weekends.

I'll be interested to know what you come up with!

Jean said...

Jorge Cruise is the mini-meal guy that I'm aware of. His 8 Minutes in the Morning plan is great, too. (I used it for 30-45 days and lost a couple inches off my waist -- you'd think that would be motivation enough for me to return to it, wouldn't you?)

Regarding the protein, a Clif bar with coffee is surprisingly satisfying and incredibly no-brainer. It just doesn't have much fruit in it.

Valerie Comer said...

Gallop doesn't specifically mention Clif bars but says many don't have much protein. He says to look for 20-30 grams of carbs, 10-15 gr protein, and 4-6 gr fat--and then consider half a bar to be a serving.

Sigh. Why can't it be easier?

Jean said...

From an insert in Sunday's paper, I was just reminded about the goodness in red grapefruit. I love Ruby Red Grapefruit, so I'm going to stock up on some.

How could I have forgotten?

Jean said...

From the nutrition info on a random Clif bar from the pantry (Crunchy Peanut Butter) -- despite differing flavors, they're all nutritionally the same (that's a scary thought):

Calories 250
Fat 6g (1.5g saturated)
Carb 40g (5g fiber/insoluble fiber 4g)
Sugars 18g
Protein 12g
Potassium 230mg

Made with organic oats and soybeans. The specs hit his recommendations. I have trouble eating more than one, but half would be awkward to do.

Valerie Comer said...

I guess the suggestion Gallop would make that you might want something other than just a cup of coffee to round out that half a Clif bar? :P