Saturday, February 02, 2008

Okay, now for everything else

Now that we're Walking to Somewhere, I feel like I have some accountability for getting some cardio exercise. Because of the degenerative disc disease in my neck and upper back, walking is about the best exercise I can get--and because I don't want to gain weight again, I need to do it regularly. I really think this little friendly competition is going to help a ton.

I've done an informal calibration at about 2662 steps per mile. With hubby working back in town and starting work at 8, my walking hour is between 8 and 9. We're sharing a vehicle, and most days I drop him off on my way into town, park the truck (its been 4x4 conditions lately, hence the truck not the car), and go for my walk in town. I pick him up at 12, we drive home for lunch, I drop him off for 1:00, and pick him up at 5 when we're both done. So this works pretty well for me.

A couple of days the roads were so horrid I left him the truck and walked the rest of the way: 2.2 kilometers or 1.32 miles. The downside there is I am carrying my backpack until I get to my store, then I ditch it and walk a bit longer without it. I've been averaging 4500-5500 steps before work for net days of 6000-7000.

I still need to get back in a good routine for core exercises, but one thing at a time.

Weight-wise, I'm hanging in at 148#. I've been there since...September? It barely wobbled over Christmas which is really fantastic. Honestly? If my body would like to be happy at this weight, I would like to not argue with it. I'm still twenty pounds down from my high spot of two years ago, I'm reasonably fit, and I don't hate my current clothes. Though I do miss a few of the cute things I wore last winter!

I'm keeping to a mostly low GI diet, generally speaking, while not getting carried away. (Obviously, or I'd be losing that weight again...)

We'll see what consistent walking does for me. Sadly I don't think it will remove my belly flab. It will take the core exercises to do that!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Have you tried taking gelatin capsules for your back? My dad takes them for shoulder pain, and they're used to sports medicine for lots of different joint problems. Might be worth running past your doc.

Valerie Comer said...

I'm not familiar with them, EJ. Does it matter what causes the shoulder pain? Cause mine is degenerative disc disease, not pulled muscles or anything like that.

Wendy said...

It helps cushion the cartilage between the joints. It's good for arthritis and joint pain.

Beth Goddard said...

Hey Valerie!

Love this blog!
I'm a low-carber. . or have been in the past but I'm really really struggling right now:((

Maybe this blog is JUST what I need. LOL

Beth